Like all academic libraries the main objective of the? Dar es Salaam campus KIU Library is to support the teaching, learning and research activities of the University by providing the most relevant and up to-date information?? resources and services.
Currently the library has a collection of about 5000 books to cater for the needs of students, staff and researchers in the areas of Business and Management, Social sciences, Law, Computer science, Education and English. The collection needs to be worked out by sorting, classifying and cataloguing, documenting and labeling them ready to be put on the shelves.
However, because of the demand for the information resources the library staff has decided to organize the collection on the shelves using their broad subject terms such as Business, Management, Marketing, Accounting, Computer Sciences, Education, Social sciences etc. in order to enable customers to have access to the information they want.
Sections in the Library
The library has the following distinctive areas: Reading area, Special collection, Reserve collection, Audio visual collection and Acquisitions area for processing the materials.
Being one of the most important facilities in any academic institution, a library is ?for knowledge creation, acquisition, selection, organization and dissemination of information. Hence the library at KIU provides the following services:
- Reading area: Currently the library has a reading area for about 150 to 200 readers at a time.
- Information needs: The library undertakes to study the information needs of its customers in order to provide resources relevant to their requirements..
- Access tools: It is the responsibility of the library to establish and maintain both a card catalog as well as an Online Public Access Catalog (OPAC) of all library materials for accessibility.
- User education programs: the library plans to offer ICT services and other user education programs to students, academic staff as well as other members of the community on campus to facilitate effective usage of its resources.
- Establish and promote cooperation with similar centers at national as well as international level.
KIU Library Rules and Regulations
In order for the library to provide an atmosphere for conducive use of its services and facilities users are required to comply with the library regulations listed below. These are but only a sample of the regulations.
- Membership: the library provides membership to students, lecturers and Administrative staff.
- Entrance into the library is by showing a valid Identification card.
- Lending: The resources of the KIU library are NOT to be taken out. This is a reference library only.
- Bags are not allowed in the library
- Library books and other materials are to be handled with care. Mutilation and damage of library materials by marking, tearing or staining should be avoided.
- Theft and mutilation of library materials is a criminal offence punishable by the University regulations.
- Respect and cooperate with the library staff so as to have the best service on time.
- Smoking, eating and/or drinking is prohibited in the library.
Monday to Friday
9.00 am to 12.30 pm and 2.00 to 8.00 pm
9.00 am to 1.00 pm and 2.00 to 4.00 pm
SUNDAYS AND PUBLIC HOLIDAYS – CLOSED