Welcome to the School of Health Sciences, Kampala International University, Dar es Salaam Campus, where the sky is the limit in the field of academics and professionalism.
The School began in October 2011 with 12 students and 15 academic staff. It has grown rapidly over the past four years to a staff and student population of 80 and 2000 respectively. The school facility have also improved dramatically with the relocation of the school from the student service centre block to the ultra modern gigantic four-floor health sciences building. The school laboratories have improved in terms of equipments, space, practicals and technicians.
The school of health sciences is the largest division in KIU-Dar, occupying a large space to the east of the administrative block on campus in collaborations with various hospitals in Dar es Salaam and beyond. Our teaching hospital on campus is located in front of the Health Sciences Building and is currently under construction.
The school comprises of three divisions: Preclinicals, Clinicals and Pharmacy.
In the Clinical Division, We Have The Following Departments:
- Obstetrics & Gynaecology
- Internal Medicine
- Community Medicine
- Peadiatrics and Child Health.
This division works together with the clinical hospital departments in our collaborations.
In the Pre-clinical Division, we have seven departments:
- Basic Sciences
- Medical Laboratory
Each of these departments are attached to their laboratories.
In the Pharmacy Division, we have two departments:
- General pharmacy
Each of these departments have their respective laboratories and attached hospital departments.
We have a team of competent staffs and receive students from all over the world, creating a conducive academic environment, rich in culture and educational training in the school. We acknowledge and develop further the unique potentials of every student and staff and encourage their contributions towards the building of a highly academic and professional system.
The school offers nine programmes at undergraduate level at the moment with the intention of increasing the number of available programmes at both under- and post- graduate levels as we grow even further in staff, students and facilities.
The School Vision
To become a premier school of international repute that prepares health sciences students to meet the expectations of the community and the world in this 21st century and beyond.
The School Mission
- To develop a school of health sciences with an atmosphere of a truly collegiate system, where everybody will have the opportunity to grow academically and professionally.
- To expand the frontiers of research capacity and ability of teaching staffs resulting in producing graduates who are worthy in character and sound judgement.
- To improve the administrative arm of the school of health sciences leading to increased motivation, efficiency, creativity and innovation.
- To reposition the school of health sciences, KIU-Dar for the 21st century expectations.
The programmes currently available in the school are:
- Bachelors of Medicine and Surgery
- Bachelors of Pharmacy
- Bachelors of Medical Laboratory
- Diploma in Pharmaceutical Sciences
- Diploma in Medical Laboratory Technology
- Diploma in Clinical Medicine
- Certificate in Pharmacy Technology
- Certificate in Medical Laboratory Technology
- Certificate in Clinical Medicine